Thursday 18 September 2014

Educate the kids...Do not suspend them...


Stop Policing... Just Educate...the Kids...

A friend sent me an article from Canada...with the news that a Grade 12 student is suspended for selling pop from his locker...
And the friend wrote... "Mr. Kevork please have a look at this article from CBC-a kid named Keenan Shaw got suspended for selling Pepsi.
Can't believe it!"

Sugary drinks...Not healthy... I have seen students with pop as their "breakfast..."


Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Student selling Pepsi…is suspended….

Keenan Shaw says he was suspended for selling Pepsi from his locker to other students… reports the CBC…on Sept. 15, 2014….

Of course the Board is defending the decision.  Of course the principal is standing by the decision…But the student is not happy…The student thinks he is being punished without justification…     
            
Lockers as hang out place... 
I made the students come to class without their backpacks...I asked them to leave all extra books and junk in their locker...
They protested...but I explained to them...They understood...
Teachers protested... and i did not listen to them...

But there are some issues that need to be clarified…
1. The lockers are NOT for conducting business…
2. Pepsi, or any sugary pop drink or any “power” drink…is NOT healthy…
3. The student was properly and adequately warned before the suspension.
But, the student continued his sale…and did not heed the administration and the Board … The authorities did not appreciate the fact that they are being neglected…and hence…SUSPENSION…
But the student is calling foul…After all he says…
Lockers as playground...and posting messages...

"I'm not going to name any names, but I know a couple of people selling marijuana,” he said. "There's kids selling smokes, there was a kid last year selling meth, as well as a kid selling acid." 
Shaw says he has been told he will be “expelled” if the pop sales continue.  His mother says she believes the school went a little over the top and that the punishment is too extreme.
Drug sniffing dogs ... in schools...sniffing drugs in the lockers...
Lockers used to hord junk...and cosmetics and "shit" too...

I am sure there are students selling all kinds of “shit” from their locker…from their pockets…from their backpacks… and I am sure principals (P’s) and vice-principals (VP’s) turn a blind eye…
I am sure…because I have been in few higher and middle education institution and I know how the P’s and VP’s…do that…They do not want to rock the boat and they do not want headaches all day and every day…
I know that P’s and VP’s punish those who they can and realize that it is safe and the parents of the students will not make waves and will not complain…
I know this…because I have seen it… They punish “good” students…to boost their ego and also make a point to others…I have witnessed good students being punished for minor dress codes…while the “hallway kids” with drooping pants and most of their bum falling out of the pants…into the hands of the P’s and VP’s have not been punished…
In academic institutions “shit” happens too…  The administrators are biased too…
But I agree that the student from Lethbridge, Alberta should not sell sugary junk out of his locker… for the reasons that I have listed above… But the question is…
Why the P’s and VP’s were unable to convince the Grade 12 students… to follow their instruction…? Why the student did not stop and heed the educators warning…?
Questions that DO BOTHER me…!
Are you and educator or a police-person.....?
Suspending a kid means you failed to educate the student...
Suspension is washing your hands from the kids...

It looks like the educators could not educate and the student did not have enough respect for their advice and … wanted a confrontation…
And here we are…The national news is reporting it…and the student got what he wanted…
Yes, he was suspended… but, also he got the attention of all the nation… at least all those who are concerned…
The P’s and VP’s failed to educate the Grade 12 student… They wanted to act like a bullying Big Brother… The P’s and VP’s did not reason with the kid…They challenged him… They said; “My way or the highway…” and the teenage kid took the challenge… and dared them…
Education for SALE...

The whole educational system failed…Just because the P’s and VP’s are full of themselves… and their egos are bigger than their position…
Education does not need P’s and VP’s who discriminate and act as police… I always insisted to my students…be in higher education or in high school… “I am not a policeman…I am a teacher… If I wanted to punish you…I would have been a policeman… We will think together and we will learn from each other… We will respect each other…” and I was successful…
I respected my students and the younger people respected me… if they cheated… it happened once in a while… I had a chat with them…  I made them realize that what they did is wrong…I told them that with other people they might be reported to the P’s and VP’s… That they might be suspended…that university policy is that they will be expelled for academic dishonesty…
They understood… All of them… because they are thinking human beings… and they were in school to learn… and I did my best…and they appreciated it…
And, after the talk… I gave them the mark that they did not deserve… They begged to write a new test… I refused and made them take the test to their parents and made the parents sign it…
Now the question again… Why the Grade 12 student continued to sell and did not listen to the admin…?
I guess the admin failed the kid… and wasted a good teachable moment…

I guess the admin acted like a macho Big Brother…and attempted to bully the kid…instead of educating him…


That’s why our education institutions are full of failures… both adult people and young, not so adult…kids…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.