Wednesday 27 August 2014

The System Failed a GOOD Student...


The system, like the kids, is brutal ...
                             and negligent ... too...


For a long time he is in my mind.                                                                                            
 I always wanted to write about him, and then I decided not to…  But yesterday I was watching a documentary about medicine and research and,  intermittently, it focussed on AIDS…All night long it stayed with me…I was troubled and the memory of my student from few decades ago visited me…Stayed with me and debated with me… to write or not to write…     
                                                                           
In the morning I decided to introduce him to you…    For a long time I was dealing with adults … Teaching and discussing topics and life with adults is different than teaching and discussing life with teens… I was fed up with adults and their funny expectations…So I decided to take a teaching position in a high school…But since I was detached from teens for a long time…I wanted to start teaching from the lower grades  and then we’ll see…

Grade 9s are just kids…It was a very challenging adjustment…But it was good… And one of the students stood out among the group and ever since I remember him…

On a Monday the students were discussing their weekend activities… Students were bragging about things that they did and things that they wanted to do… This one student was quiet…did not participate in the bragging competition…and then one asked… “What did you do on the weekend…?” He answered: “ We attended an opera on Saturday and Sunday afternoon we went to the theater…and had family dinner at the restaurant…nearby… “ I was very attentive…This was new to me…I did not expect that young teens will go to opera and live theater… I was very much interested … When the student who asked the question interjected… “What is opera…?”  The rest is not interesting…They talked and they explained what operas are…They mocked the kid who attended it…and he took it silently…


Scene from Turandot...

Later, at lunch, I asked him what was the opera about…and we became “friends”…I liked the kid and I always enjoyed his presence in the classroom… He was very active in the school and helped in all the committees…though he was not athletic and did not participate in sport oriented events…
The Gym people, teachers and students alike, made fun of him and his friends… As they did fun of academics and opera and theater…, For the Gyp people hockey and football was the entire universe… Students who were academically oriented or interested in the arts and music did not interest them…In fact those students were a sub-species… and not worth having around…


I started to teach Calculus...

The year after…The department wanted me to teach the senior classes… Grade 13 Calculus… I did not refuse… it was somewhere between adults and younger teens and I felt more comfortable…

But too bad ... 
These Gym people were in an “academic” institution and they had to deal with students like him and teachers like me… They did not like it and barely tolerated us…

Few years passed…and it was his graduating year… I noticed that he did not have classes in the 2nd period… he said he had spare… I urged him to join my calculus class where all his friends were… he taught about it for a second and agreed… But, I had noticed a change in his attitude… He was very popular…as before but very aloof and conscience of the people around him… He used to hug people jovially…But stopped that and like a grown up acquired the habit of 

Hug for friendship...and for peace...

handshakes… At the time the fist-bump was not initiated…  I was surprised…but I did inquire it stayed with me…when in the hallway he avoided to hug friends or teachers… I became aware of the fact…



There was an incident that bothered me… The student was to attending school for few days… I inquired the reason…I phoned his home…everyone was evasive… I asked the school chaplain, he knew everything, about the reason… He whispered in my ear that the student came to school few days ago with a tongue-ring… and the admin asked him to take it off… he did not and is staying home for now… I did not make much of it… I though it will be school policy not to wear jewelry at the school… I was naive and did not relate tongue-rings to and social behaviour…!

At the prom…The Chaplain, a good friend of mine, laughed away when he took of his shirt and hit the dance floor… at one point my Grade 13 Calculus students dragged me to the dance floor too… I remained there encircled by the teens for few moments… They trapped me and why not…I let them have fun…on my clumsy movements …!
They had fun….I had fun too…


Senior having fun at the prom...

After graduation he visited me… he had a tongue-ring… I noticed and he showed it to me proudly…he was more at ease with himself…and he hugged me too…
Later that day, I saw him again at the Chapel…I told the Chaplain…”He has a tongue-ring”… and I asked him to show it to us…He stuck his tongue to us with a mischief…
But he did not visit the Gym people and the not pass from the admin offices…
After graduating from university…he traveled to the Asia…to Thailand and Singapore… He had a good job…with a designer-fashion company… and I lost contact of him…

I don’t know what happened to him…
The education system failed him… The Chaplain and I embraced him… I did not know his exact difficulties and problems…I had a sense of it… I respected him… he was a good kid…jovial and smart…he was on the honour list always… I liked him…and now I do not know what happened to him… Young kids are gossipy and brutal in that at times… The system is “holier-than-thou” rubbish…Society is intolerant for diversity… and hypothetical most of the time…


The educational system failed him… and I feel that I was partly responsible for it too…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.