Tuesday 19 April 2016

Ross was Against... "Apres moi le deluge"... theorem...


"Après moi le déluge" or "After me, the deluge" is attributed to the King King of France Louis the XVth...(15th... 1710-1774)... about fifteen years before the French Revolution which proclaimed "equality, fraternity and liberty..."

   
Louis the 15th and Madam Pompadour, his queen... Some say that the queen made the remarks... after all she has also said: "Let them have cake..." when the people were demonstrating for bread... because they were hungry and poor... She did not have the sense that when poor people do not have bread... they do not have cake too... She could not do the math... 

The king's phrase can be interpreted:                   

After me the deluge will come... asserting that after him France will go into disaster and chaos and destruction...

or,                                                               After me let the deluge come... even if the deluge takes all and disaster prevails... it makes no difference to me... the few centuries old equivalent of "Ask me if I care...!" or in youth parlance "I don't give a fuck..."
............................................
To dispute about the phrase is for "historians" and ivory tower "academics"... The dispute is not that consequential, but our attitudes are... to some degree, some of us more and some of us less, ALL of us live in the second sense... We witness a homeless... and pass by... We hear about natural disasters and we sleep over it and wait for the next one... We hear about wars and we say; "Aren't we luck that we have peace over here..." 
Some of us give alms... and attend church, mosque, temple, synagogue... services... and like the Prince in the Bible, we assume that we have done it... But the Bible says... give all away to the poor... and uphold human values... of sharing and humility... not greed and chasing profits... 


A bag of air from Kobe Bryant's last game reached $15,000 in eBay bidding... before it was pulled down... How much GREED is enough... Some pollute the air others sell it... I told my students often... that will come the time when we will have two bottles in each hand... one to gulp clean water,as we do now... and the other to sniff clear air, as we'll do soon... The future is already here... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
  Is our species... this stupid... and greedy... Next they will sell shit too... or maybe body parts... before they put the body six feet under...!
Maybe we are funny... Maybe we are stupid... Maybe chasing profit and our greedy genes are also part of our stupidity...!


We are a funny-stupid species... Greed and chasing profits is in our blood to some degree... in some of us more and in some of us less... That's why Ross, my chaplain friend said; "Do not lecture to the students, just start a discussion... talk to them and come up with a collective vision..."
Well, apparently I have not done enough... I evidently have failed to inspire them... I have not given them wings big enough to soar... and I have not given vision for a more humane tomorrow...

Human Engineered Disasters in Nature...
... and Ross, the chaplain in my school, told me; Be patient Godot with come... Wait for Godot a bit longer..."
I have students working in the Silicon Valley... I have students working for humanity... I have many students, teachers and engineer..., and of course I am waiting for Godot... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... (still waiting...)


Ross and I attended two different stagings of Waiting for Godot... Both versions were great... and of course the play ended but the waiting time never halted... It became a joke between us... When one of us said; " I am still waiting for Godot...," we knew that there was an issue and which never will be solved... a conundrum that will never be cracked... Of course every one of them... human made... In school, and at education theaters... all issues are human made... and at times nature gives an assisting hand... 
Education persists... and the human puzzle continues... Wise people are studying... observing... categorizing... inventing new terminology for the old behaviours... since antiquity it is the same game... But no solution is in sight... The big fish still eats the smaller ones... and still power corrupts... and still we are Waiting for Godot... Ross somewhere over the rainbow... in the galaxies..., and I still stuck over here... Waiting for a change... I was hoping my students will make a difference..., Ross told me so..., But the Godot still dit not show up... The raping of the environment still goes on... and Brazil... the other rain-forests in Indonesia and around are not the only ones... I read that fracking is causing mini and not so mini quakes some cities in the U.S. and I read that "dirty oil" from the Alberta Tar Sands produces more toxins and causes environmental hazards... 
Ross told me that no one is supposed to lecture others... He said... "that's the problem... Lecturing...? Not good...! We have to talk with each other... we have to discuss with each other... We have to come to solutions together and share with each other..."Ross said... wait and eventually Godot will arrive... 
But,
Who knows... Maybe... Ross is correct... Maybe... Godot will come... But then, maybe there is no Godot... and humanity is destined to be greedy and chase profit... 
Maybe things are doomed to end... Maybe...
...................................................
I came by two words which were foreign to me... One is a British usage and not that familiar in North America and the other one is a new suggestion... 
Both caught my imagination and I wanted to share them with you
1. ...Bol·shie

 It is pronounced bōlSHē and is an adjective... It is more used in Britain... and the comparative adjective is bolshier...
Meaning: deliberately combative or uncooperative... Like some of my students who were full of themselves and wanted to prove that they are smart... to me...? Maybe... to their friends...? Definitely...


1. ... Some one had used this phrase... "Friends, foes or frenemies?"
 All of us know "friends"... and all of us know "foes"... 
What is new is the word frenemies... who is both friend and enemy... like the Turkish regime of president Erdogan to the West and to the U.S. 
The Turkish regime is both an ally of the U.S. and also a supporter of the Islamist-Jihadist group in Syria and Iraq... 
Frenemies is not neither friend nor enemy... but rather both friend and enemy at the same time... That is, an opportunistic charlatan like the Turkish-Azerbaijani regimes... and supporters of both the West and the Islamist-Jihadists...
A conundrum that spells... hypocrisy... 
Both Turkey and Azerbaijan are united in their quest for genocide of Armenians... and they cannot be both friend and enemy of the West.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.