Saturday 13 February 2016

The Ballet and Ross... Toes and flat foot...



Several times Ross suggested that we attend a ballet performance in the city... Always I refused... 
"I love the music... I love the story they are weaving... I love the spanning of love and mystery... and bigger than life conflicts... The conflicts may be identical, but the music infuses a variation on the dance which is absolute fantasy... Transfers you to another level into a new constellation... you encounter new galaxies... But also I get focussed on the tip-toe dancing of the females and the relative comfortable damces of the males..."
The music and the dances are enchanting... But the contrast of the girls to boys makes me very uncomfortable... I have never been able to free myself from that male-female contrast... I will never be able to liberate myself from the gender bias...
I told this to Ross... But Ross being Ross, he understood my concerns but never gave up on a good thing and reminded me once in a while that there is a wonderful ballerina in town and we have to see her dance... and I succumbed to his pleas once in a while...
 
Scenes from Giselle...
But, this is what I mean... The female on her toes... and the male... on his comfortably on his soles...
For me it is a distraction and I cannot liberate myself of it... Ross did not care... He directed my attention to the "fabulous gestures on her toes..." while I was musing if they ever bleed...!
Looking at it I felt pain of the centuries... gender bias and sexist abuse... I could not help it...

... And we went to Giselle... Great ballet... fantastic music... it opens  in a village on the river Rhine during the wine harvest... and so on... The rest is seeing is believing... 
Ross gets excited over minor things quite easily, as you must know by now... Not that experiencing Giselle is a minor thing... but than it's not earth shattering too... But Ross got into it... and it was difficult to bring him back to reality... He mimicked the dances while walking out of the theater... It was cold outside... and while Ross was "dancing" he slipped on the sidewalk... There was black ice... and he just stepped on it... He came down heavily... did not stop laughing... others looked at him... They thought he did it on purpose... intentionally... I waited quietly... He laughed his heart out... and eventually he calmed down... I guess the ice cold pavement began to irritate his bottom... It was freezing cold and his ass warned him of the cold fact... 

Origin of ass

Middle English ars, ers, from Old Englishærs, ears; akin to Old High German & Old Norse ars buttocks, Greek orrhos buttocks,oura tail

He refused any help... and I waited quietly... Eventually he decided to get up... slowly... I noticed that he was in pain... But as soon as he was on his feet he began to dance again... He wanted to stress that he was indeed okay... But I did not believe him...
He rested on the weekend... But I noticed him limping bravely on Monday... at the school... 
Ross was a brave man too...!

***
When minorities are opened to art... It's a great achievement for society... Art is enhanced... enriched ... and stupidity on the streets decreased...
Color image of Misty as she is on ballet bar in studio
Misty Copeland made headlines last year as the first African-American woman to be named principal dancer at American Ballet Theatre. Here’s our story from a year before that historic moment, in March of 2014.

Misty in dance pose on gray backdrop
Wonderful artistic skills... Good dancing... But still standing on her toes bothers me... I never will get used to it... I Just hope Ross will not attempt another split... You never know... he may slip wherever he is now... 
I loved Giselle... I was scared when Ross fell down on the sidewalk... I noticed his limping, but I kept silent... and I still am not reconciled with the females dancing on their toes and the males walking as if they rule the stage and time and space...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.