Monday 8 February 2016

Monday... and Prom... and Old Problems...


It is a beautiful Monday... 
My daughter has a musician friend... he plays the cello... He and his three friends are in our backyard creating magic ad playing their instruments...  The whole house is echoing their music... and my heart is exploding with joy... 
I had to start the blog with this note... I always wanted to play a musical instrument... But the circumstances, politics and social norms restricted my choice... I have repeated so many times... But allow me to repeat again... If I had been educated in North America... I would not have been a mathematician... My heart was, and is, in the arts... I would have been a writer... maybe a musician too... 
Today the house is full of music and I am very ecstatic for it... The cello, the violins are patting my nerves and I love it...
Often, I wanted to tease my students... I wanted to open up their imagination to the galaxies way beyond the horizons... I joked with them, as I did with Ross...
"What did God do on the seventh day...?" I asked Ross.
"He just relaxed and admired the beauty of creation...!" He tossed at me...
"Anything else...?" I pursued... He paused a little though about it... contemplated a bit more... and I waited... He was intrigued by the question and had no clue where I was heading... and He gave up... like many students later...
"He relaxed... But he got bored by noon... napped for few minutes... and then to get out of His boredom... CREATED MUSIC..."




Ross chuckled loud, very loud... and then told it to others... who did not appreciate the story as much as he did...


The students got intrigued... and maybe one of them grew up into music because of that... Maybe... Everything is possible... !
One of my favourite poets, Khalil Gibran, wrote; "God created music as a common language for all men. It inspires the poets, the composers and the architects. It lures us to reach our souls for the meaning of the mysteries described in ancient books."
 
Sorry, they are just one day late...!
***
...and Again the prom... Our friend wrote...


Onto prom. 
Rather than it being some sort of entrance into society like you suggest, I think kids see it more as one of their last chances to be a kid (although some obviously like to extend that past high school). 
You get to let loose and have one last night with all your school friends in one place. One thing that kind of surprised everybody in my year was just how much of an effect that night had. Usually, you go to prom, then all split up and maybe go to some after party somewhere. 
In our year, we had MADD choose our school for a trial after party held at our school with the possibility of winning a car worth around $8000. So rather than everybody splitting up to the various parties, everybody went back to the school after prom for the after party. They arranged bussing and everything so as to avoid and drunk driving and to make the night as safe as possible for everyone. Even though the main reason for everybody coming to that after-party was the possibility of the car, the positive effects far outreached the initial expectations. Everybody expected a lame party, lots of supervision, no freedom... But with all the food and drinks provided as well as so many activities and games to keep you busy through the night, everybody thoroughly enjoyed themselves. For the first time in 4 years, there was no cliques. Everybody let loose and the competitive nature of some of the games got everybody together, competing against each other and talking to people you maybe didn't talk to once in your 4 years at the school. 
But here's the shocker though, that whole following summer until everybody started university, every single weekend, everybody got together in a nearby park. For 2 months after graduation, instead of just completely splitting up and maybe seeing your close friends in the summer, everybody forgot about all the cliques in high school and just enjoyed everyone else's company. Some people made new friendships that are still lasting until today with people that they never even knew in high school. 

I, like Ross, appreciated the exuberance of youth... After all, I and Ross were there and done it too... The younger way of doing things is like the summer months forever... Things are easier and less calculated... things are more adventurous, bold and not much concern about the consequences... Projecting the winter cold in a lovely and warm summer day is for those who have experienced the winter... Youth have to be rebellious and shatter more limitations... That's how progress is achieved... The intellectual who succumbs to the societal norms and to the mores of the establishment... will me a mediocrity... will not achieve much and above all, will not usher in innovation and new ways of doing things...
That's how it should be... and that is precisely why Ross got excited when with the young... Ross achieved more with the young crowd and almost nothing with the teachers and the administration... 
He loved the prom because it lit up his way to new heights... and adventure was never far behind... 
Few people run in... "A car just crushed into the expensive sports car of one of the vice-principals...," he yelled...
All run out... Indeed there was the crushed car one jammed into the other... and the police were there... they cordoned off part of the parking lot... for investigation... My car was cordoned off too... Ross returned home with someone else... I phoned my wife to come an pick me up...
The story was that two guys were seen while robbing a corner store... The police chased them and eventually they ended up at the prom parking lot... That's when the crush happened... and the rest... It was just a coincidence... Had nothing to do with our school or with our students...
The next day I returned to retrieve my car... It was okay... I was okay... 

1984... New Technologies, But Old Problems...
Julian Assange in 2014
A UN panel concluded that Wikileaks founder Julian Assange is being "arbitrarily detained" in the UK... and his movements restricted...

Mr Assange claimed asylum in London's Ecuadorean embassy in 2012 to avoid extradition to Sweden over sex assault claims, which he denies and claims that the Swedish move is just a trap to extradite him to the U.S. where he will be convicted to life imprisonment...
But regardless, the London police said that  Mr Assange will be arrested if he leaves the embassy and the Swedish prosecutors said the UN panel's decision would have "no formal impact" on its ongoing investigation...
Why governments have to work in secret...? What they want to hide from the PEOPLE...?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.