Wednesday 13 January 2016

Ross and Theater... Also other things...


Ross... A Free Spirit
It did not take much to make Ross happy...
He loved to visit downtown... The downtown core excited him like a kid enjoying a new way of playing with an old toy... We had happy hour drinks for an our or two... We had dinner and then we attended a play or a concert... We loved to listen to choral music and Messiah for Christmas and Saint John Passion at Easter were regulars for us... 
But this particular day we were attending St. Lawrence for a play about the expulsion of Acadians to Boston and their return...
We had many good times in the Theater District...
We went to a bar... Had our happy hour drinks... two drinks each... Chatted... Ross was a good talker... He shared the hot news-gossips of the day... about the Principal... about the teacher... Fished for my troubles in the Math Department... I was the Head of the department and wanted to help, at times just prey the gossip... Ross had lots of information about lots of things... Most of them useless... 
Ross was protective too... At one time I had a conflict with another Department Head... The guy was obnoxious and while we were attempting to sort out the issues in the vice-Principal's office... This other Department Head started to swear at me... Everything colourful... Mother fucker and all the rest... He knew quite a few... this swearing session lasted for fifteen minutes... The VP was silent... and I was stunned... When he left, I asked the VP not to report the incident to the Principal... But I was out of luck... No one wants to rock the boat... Bt no one wants to have headache too... The VP dumped the issue in the Principal's lap... They always do...
I guess the other teacher was trying to imitate Ricky Gervai...

Because of this incident, Ross was very protective of me...and on every occasion wanted the latest from the Math Department... But I did not have much to report... Math teachers are a boring breed... and there was not much excitement in my department...    
The drinks were good and I am a very good listener... and Ross likes to talk... We had dinner too... and couple of glasses of wine... I always drink red, but Ross alternates depending on his mood... 
The play was very good... It had to be very good because otherwise I will dose away... The topic was interesting and close to my heart... The epic exile of the Acadians reminded me of the deportations of the Armenians a century ago... The walk from Nova Scotia to Boston is quite a distance... and it was played on the stage skillfully... The audience got engaged both in the misery and in the long walk... At one point en elderly women advised a younger boy to begin the walk with the left foot... "Start with the left... for good luck," she said... "Start with the left..." amused Ross and it stayed with him...
After the play hitting the street Ross was playful... Little Rossie had bubbled up and  He joked, "Always with the left..." and jumped on the street from the sidewalk... Just then a car buzzed passed him... He almost lost his balance... I had to help him out... 
Ross stumbled right where the bicycles are... though he started with his left foot...

The incident stayed with us... and we always joked... "Start with the left..." Others did not know what we were referring to... But every now and then one of us was tipsy enough to stumble for the other to refer to the left foot...
Ross was fun and attending theater with him added another dimension to my enjoyment...
***
...And Something Else...

My daughter noticed a small library in front of a house... He called me back from our walk and wanted me to see it... She realized that it will interest me...
Indeed it was wonderful... A family offering books in front of their house...
Wonderfully human... Great idea... Sharing with others...
Little Free Library
 I indeed love people when they share...

Share your books... Share your love... Create harmony...
and understanding...
Promote PEACE on Earth...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.