Monday 28 July 2014

Big Brother in Action Again...



Big Brother in Action...
Read the news items below...Look at the funny photos of the famous and not-so famous bums...
I never appreciated this fashion...But I tolerated it...
When I was a classroom teacher...I said to the kids...
"Your pants are falling down..." They got confused ...but did not care...and I did not stop and wait...It was just a passing remark...not a confrontation or "imposing" the laws... After all I was not a policeman...
or,
"Pull up your pants, man..." and walked away... I did not wait and follow the skin of the law...It wasn't up to me...and I let the kids in the classroom know...
Whenever they announced on the PA that I had to impose a fashion by-law...I told the kids...
" I am a teacher, and not a policeman..." I even extended these logical reasoning to "cheating"...on a test...I talked to the kids in private and encouraged them to study more so as they will not put themselves in such a predicament...After all it is analogous to not working and attempting to survive on BNE's...it is not socially accepted behaviour and will lead to trouble...
But,
The Big Brothers...attempt everything...Since they have the power, but not the brain...
Arthur Miller's The Crucible has made a profound effect on me...What a wonderful play... (There is a very good version on DVDs...watch it...)
I definitely do not appreciate the spectacle...be it from Bieber or a street urchin...But I will never side will Fashion Police or Though Surveillance and Thought Police...
I genuinely dislike ALL types of Big Brothers...They think they know it all...and of course the corollary of that premise is that...we, the rest, are misguided and do not know enough...
So Big Brothers need to impose laws so as they will SAVE US FROM OUR "EVIL" SELVES...
..................
I think they are just pretentious and pompous...full of themselves... ass ( play add your choice of word here...)
(CNN) -- A Florida town has banned people -- let's face it, young people -- from wearing saggy pants.
A councilwoman for Ocala pushed for passage of the law, but the town's Mayor Kent Guinn may ultimately veto the fashion police.
If the law goes into effect, it's unclear what measuring tools the Ocala Police Department would use to determine whether citizens' pants are within the 2-inch legal limit of a theoretical waistline. It's even more unclear how they will determine where the waistline actually lies on an individual.
We can not do much if they want to expose themselves...
The Terrebonne Parish council voted 8-1 in favor of an ordinance to outlaw the pants and fine anyone 50 dollars for a first offense and $100 for the second.
Well, his brain is in his pants...And he knows how to market it...
He is earning millions...isn't he...?
It is stupid...But when you have millions even your bum looks like a brain...

The city council of Pikeville, TN  recently made a bold fashion statement, unanimously voting to ban saggy pants.  Anyone whose pants fall three inches or more below the top of their hips could be fined up to $50.
Poor kids...They have confused brains with bums...
Both words start with a "b" and it is very difficult to distinguish one from the other...


Big Brother and I...

Few years ago I had two students Pavel and Michael...Difficult kids...Lazy too...But they were in the graduating class...Somehow they were pushed up to that level...Not because of their maturity and knowledge, but because of their height and age...
We had good relationship... After all,

  • I expected good things from them...and they expected good marks from me...
  • I expected maturity and self respect from them...and they expected "fatherhood" from me...
Once I asked Pavel, "Were you not the kid that refused to hand in his baseball cap to me...and run away daring me to chase you...?"
"Sounds like me...," he replied...
I made his realize that I remember...I made him appreciate the fact that I want better things from him...
He realized it...He appreciated it...He thanked me for it...and the next day he wrote a good test...He got 77%....Wonderfully unprecedented...
He was happy...I was happier...for him...
Few days later both Pavel and Michael did not attend class...After two days they showed up again...They were an inseparable pair...I have no clue what their personal relationship was...and I
asked Michael, "where were you the last couple of days...?" He smiled ...looked at Pavel and both smiled...I knew they are up to something...I waited ... for an answer, patiently...I was not going to repeat the question... Finally Michael said, " Sir, we went to Queen's park...Where the provincial government is...We were at the 'World Free Cannabis Day'..." and Pavel took a small bag about the size of a quarter from his pocket and mischievously asked: "Sir, do you want it...?"

I pretended that I did not hear and I did not see it...Well Pavel thrived on challenging the system and mocking the Big Brother...and I was not going to give his childish fancy any satisfaction...I guess he would have darted put the moment I asked for the "coin"...like once he did for his baseball cap...
I pretended that I did not hear him and I did not see the "coin"... After all, I am not sure whether he was teasing or pretending...and I was not in the mood to be a policeman...I wanted to reach out to them and I wanted them to graduate...
I was an educator and i wanted to educate...and challenge their imagination...
I wanted them to learn to think independently and above all to mature up...

 
Marijuana Plant...and Pavel asked: "Sir, do you want it...?"
But some other kids had seen the entire incident too...
I was called to the Principal's Office and was reprimanded....because I did not report to the admin the incident.... The principal did not ask if what the students ratted was true or not...He just rebuked me for being a teacher and not a policeman...
I did not argue with him....He knew where I stand on the issue...He just reminded me of my duties so as to cover his ass in case the students ratted to higher authority...or the rumours went up the ladder...
After few "cannabis incidents" Michael was suspended and he barely graduated....
Pavel and Michael both attended university...They visited me in their first year...But then I do not know what happened to them... 
I think my way of relating to the kids was the right way...
I think the principal and the admin erred...
I think the rats should be scolded...instead of being patted at the back...
We have to teach kids to develop good and solid character...and ratting should not be part of it...

Mother and daughter...
"She said 'Mama' for the first time..."
***
....And a News Item ...About a mother and a daughter...and Big Brother and Medical marijuana...

(CNN) -- Doctors in Macon, Georgia, told Janea Cox that her daughter, Haleigh, might not live another three months.
That was the middle of March, when Haleigh's brain was being short-circuited by hundreds of seizures a day, overrunning the array of five potent drugs meant to control them. Worse, the drugs were damaging Haleigh's organs.
"She was maxed out," Cox said. "She'd quit breathing several times a day, and the doctors blamed it on the seizure medications."
Cox had heard that a form of medical marijuana might help, but it wasn't available in central Georgia. So a week after hearing the ominous diagnosis, she and Haleigh packed up and moved to Colorado Springs, Colorado. There, Haleigh began a regimen of cannabis oil: four times a day and once at night.
By summer, she was down to just a handful of seizures a day. In less than three months, doctors were able to wean her off Depakote, a powerful medication that had been damaging her liver.
Haleigh had never been able to walk or talk. But freed from seizures in Colorado, "She said 'Mama' for the first time," Cox said. "She's playing with puzzles; she's walking. She's almost being a normal child."


Despite all the good news, Cox is living in limbo. Her husband, a paramedic, couldn't afford to leave his job and pension; he still lives and works in Forsyth, Georgia. The family is relying on charity to keep their Colorado apartment for the next few months; beyond that, the future is uncertain.
***
It is a good news story...But Big Brother should abandon I know it all approach ...and listen to the people...
May be principals in the schools should be more educators than policemen...
May be "teachers" and admin should find more ways to listen to the kids and their problems...
May be we should educate the kids to think for themselves and not just follow orders and trend the line...
May be those who rat should be punished...
May be those in trouble should be helped...
....and,
I am certain that suspension is another form of evading ones responsibility...
Suspensions do not educate...
Expulsions dump the kid on someone else's lap...
So...
Those who suspend the kids from education...and those who expel kids from educational institution...should be arrested and their educators licences should be revoked...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.